A streamlined workflow for adeno-associated virus isolation, purification, and titration
Adeno-associated virus (AAV) is a nonenveloped, single-stranded DNA virus that can infect both nondividing and dividing cells. AAV is thought to be nonpathogenic to humans and only replicates in the presence of a helper virus. These features have made AAV a useful tool for gene delivery to a wide variety of cell types and an attractive vector for gene therapy.
Features of recombinant AAV vectors:
- Simple to produce at high titer (helper-free systems)
- Recombinant AAV does not integrate into host genome
- Can be used to transduce both proliferating and non-proliferating cells
- Can impart long-term expression in non-dividing cells
- Do not elicit significant immune responses in vivo
AAVpro workflow overview
The AAVpro series is a suite of products for generating high titers of transduction-ready recombinant AAV particles from preparation and extraction through purification and titration. The AAV2 particles obtained using the AAVpro system can be used for transduction of mammalian cells or individual animals (in vivo transduction).
High-titer AAV preparation without a helper virus
The AAVpro Helper Free System (AAV2) is a unique system for the preparation of high-titer AAV2 particles without the use of a helper virus.
- Cotransfect HEK 293T cells with the three plasmids encoding all of the factors necessary to generate recombinant AAV particles.
- Produce AAV particles at very high-titer expression of human microRNA-342 in this system increases titer (Figure 2).
Easy and efficient AAV particle extraction
Isolation of AAV particles from AAV particle-producing cells is conventionally performed using freeze-thaw or sonication methods. However, these methods are time-consuming and/or require special equipment. The AAVpro Extraction Solution provides a simple and efficient method for AAV particle isolation from AAV particle-producing cells.
- Viral particle recovery increases by at least 3-fold as compared to conventional freeze-thaw methods (Figure 3).
- Resulting viral particle solution contains low amounts of host DNA and protein contamination.
- Extracted AAV particles can be used for cell infection or further purification.*
*For in vivo transduction, use the AAVpro Purification Kit.
Ultracentrifuge-free AAV particle purification
The purity of AAV particles is important for achieving high transduction efficiency into individual animals and cultured cells. Ultracentrifugation protocols are commonly used to purify AAV particles, but such methods are time-consuming and require careful technique to obtain high yields. The AAVpro Purification Kit (All Serotypes) allows simple and fast (~4 hours) AAV particle purification from virus-producing cells.
- Resulting purified AAV is suitable for in vivo research.
- Easy precipitation and filtration protocol can purify AAV particles from any serotype (Figure 3).
- Watch the video protocol »
Quick determination of AAV titer by qPCR
The AAVpro Titration Kit (for Real Time PCR) Ver.2 contains all of the reagents necessary to determine the titer of AAV preps using qPCR. AAV particles are extracted from virus-producing cells, and qPCR is used to quantify a viral genomic sequence, resulting in a titer in under 2.5 hours.
- Can be used for any AAV serotype—quantification is based on amplification of the ITR (inverted terminal repeat) of AAV2, a region common to most AAV vectors (Figure 5)
- More precise quantification than conventional DNA blot or ELISA methods
Takara Bio USA, Inc.
United States/Canada: +1.800.662.2566 • Asia Pacific: +1.650.919.7300 • Europe: +33.(0)1.3904.6880 • Japan: +81.(0)77.565.6999
FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES. © 2022 Takara Bio Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of Takara Bio Inc. or its affiliate(s) in the U.S. and/or other countries or their respective owners. Certain trademarks may not be registered in all jurisdictions. Additional product, intellectual property, and restricted use information is available at takarabio.com.