SMART-Seq Single Cell Kit—full-length transcriptome analysis with ultimate sensitivity for single cells
The SMART-Seq Single Cell Kit (SSsc) and the SMART-Seq Single Cell PLUS Kit (SSsc PLUS) are powered by robust chemistry that provides unparalleled sensitivity and reproducibility for single-cell and nuclei applications. These kits use oligo(dT) priming to generate high-quality, full-length cDNA directly from single cells known to have low RNA content (e.g., PBMCs, T-cells, B-cells, etc.).
The SMART-Seq Single Cell Kit (SSsc) and the SMART-Seq Single Cell PLUS Kit (SSsc PLUS) are powered by robust chemistry that provides unparalleled sensitivity and reproducibility for single-cell and nuclei applications. These kits use oligo(dT) priming to generate high-quality, full-length cDNA directly from single cells known to have low RNA content (e.g., PBMCs, T-cells, B-cells, etc.). In addition to the cDNA synthesis kit, the SSsc PLUS kit also includes a library preparation kit and a single-use unique dual index (UDI) plate to generate Illumina-compatible sequencing libraries, making it a complete end-to-end solution.
The SMART (Switching Mechanism at 5' End of RNA Template) technology powering the SMART-Seq Single Cell kit provides full-length transcript information, enabling analysis of transcript isoforms, gene fusions, point mutations, etc. The cDNA kit provides high reproducibility, even gene-body coverage, and an accurate representation of GC-rich transcripts. We have further modified this powerful core technology to create a new chemistry with higher sensitivity designed specifically for single-cell applications. These enhancements result in more useful reads and a higher gene detection, allowing for a better understanding of precious samples.
The SSsc PLUS kit includes our patented library preparation kit that incorporates enzymatic fragmentation and stem-loop adapters to construct high-quality, Illumina-compatible libraries from the cDNA synthesized with the core kit. This two-step workflow takes place in a single tube and can be completed in about two hours with no intermediate purification steps necessary—minimizing sample mix-up, sample loss, and cross-contamination. The high library yield generated from this kit provides the flexibility to sequence on high-throughput sequencers while providing high reproducibility.
If you are interested in these benefits but are working with intact, high-quality cells (<1,000) or ultra-low total RNA inputs, we recommend our SMART-Seq v4 PLUS Kit.
If you prefer a random priming approach that will allow you to work with degraded samples and includes library preparation and indexing reagents, we recommend our SMART-Seq Stranded Kit.
- Easy, plate-based workflow—direct input of single cells isolated by FACS or other methods
- Single-tube workflows—complete cDNA synthesis and library preparation, in one tube each, for minimization of sample loss, sample mix-up, or other handling errors
- Unparalleled sensitivity and reproducibility—get the best performance for single-cell RNA-seq (especially for cells with very low RNA content and for nuclei) with the highest gene detection
- Robust, full-length chemistry—outperform all existing single-cell full-length methods, including Smart-seq2, with this validated protocol
- Increased sequencing power—include unique dual indexes to allow for the pooling of multiple samples and confident sequencing on the NovaSeq™ system
- High library yield—sequence on high-throughput sequencers with ease (such as the NovaSeq system) or confidently save extra library for future runs
- Highly scalable workflow—automate and use for high-throughput applications
SMART-Seq Single Cell Kit provides higher sensitivity than Smart-seq2
Validated kit backed by expert technical support
Even higher sensitivity for single-cell applications
We have further modified our core technology to create a new chemistry with higher sensitivity designed specifically for single-cell applications. We demonstrated that the new SSsc kit generates data with even better sensitivity and reproducibility than the SMART-Seq v4 kit (SSv4).
SSsc PLUS provides a complete workflow from cDNA through library preparation
The SMART-Seq Single Cell PLUS Kit is designed to synthesize high-quality, full-length cDNA directly from single cells, and then generate Illumina-ready sequencing libraries.
- cDNA synthesis from single cells for full-length transcriptome sequencing
- cDNA outputs from the SSsc kit can be used with the SMART-Seq Library Prep kit (not sold separately; sold as part of the SSsc PLUS kit) for Illumina sequencing
- To learn how to automate these products with the Mantis liquid handler platform, please contact technical support
Additional product information
Please see the product's Certificate of Analysis for information about storage conditions, product components, and technical specifications. Please see the Product Components List to determine kit components. Certificates of Analysis and Product Components Lists are located under the Documents tab.
Our robust scRNA-seq technology just got better
Get data you didn't know you were missing
Created specifically for single-cell applications, the SMART-Seq Single Cell Kit clearly outperforms previously published protocols and existing commercial kits. Our validated kit's unprecedented sensitivity results in a higher number of useful reads and more genes detected than these popular full-length methods. Read our technical note to see how you can discover more from your scRNA-seq experiments.View data
Takara Bio USA, Inc.
United States/Canada: +1.800.662.2566 • Asia Pacific: +1.650.919.7300 • Europe: +33.(0)1.3904.6880 • Japan: +81.(0)77.565.6999
FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES. © 2020 Takara Bio Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of Takara Bio Inc. or its affiliate(s) in the U.S. and/or other countries or their respective owners. Certain trademarks may not be registered in all jurisdictions. Additional product, intellectual property, and restricted use information is available at takarabio.com.