Embryoid bodies (EBs) are three-dimensional aggregates comprised of human pluripotent stem cells (hPSCs). Within EBs, hPSCs undergo differentiation and cell specification along the three germ layers, which are commonly used as an assessment of the initial hPSCs' pluripotency. The protocol for formation of spin EBs can be used as a basis for the development of protocols for directed differentiation via EBs.
- Technical notes
- Getting started with hepatocyte differentiation
- Cardiomyocytes in FLIPR 384-well plate format
- Cardiomyocytes on the Patchliner system
- Cardiomyocytes on the Maestro MEA system
- Cardiomyocytes on the MED64 MEA system
- Cardiomyocytes on the CardioExcyte 96 system
- Cardiomyocytes on the xCELLigence RTCA CardioECR system
- Reprogramming fibroblasts
- Reprogramming PBMCs
- Spin embryoid body formation
- Transferring iPSCs from other media to DEF-CS
- Transferring iPSCs on MEFs to DEF-CS
- Selection guides
Confirmation of pluripotency by spin embryoid body formation
- 24-well plates, cell-culture treated, flat bottom
- 96-well plates, non-treated, V bottom
- Advanced RPMI 1640
(with glucose, sodium pyruvate, and non-essential amino acids; without L-glutamine and HEPES)
- B-27 Supplement (50X), serum free
- DEF-CS COAT-1
- GlutaMAX-I (100X; 200 mM)
- PBS Dulbecco's with Ca2+ & Mg2+ (D-PBS +/+)
- PBS Dulbecco's w/o Ca2+ & Mg2+ (D-PBS –/–)
(PEST; 10,000 units/ml of penicillin and 10,000 µg/ml of streptomycin)
- TrypLE Select Enzyme (1X), no phenol red
(Thermo Fisher Scientific, Cat. # 12563011)
User-generated protocols are based on internal proof-of-concept experiments, customer collaborations, and published literature. In some cases, relevant results are discussed in our research news BioView blog articles. While we expect these protocols to be successful in your hands, they may not be fully reviewed or optimized. We encourage you to contact us or refer to the published literature for more information about these user-generated and -reported protocols.
If you are looking for a product-specific, fully optimized User Manual or Protocol-At-A-Glance, please visit the product's product page, open the item's product details row in the price table, and click Documents. More detailed instructions for locating documents are available on our website FAQs page.
Questions? Protocols of your own that you would like to share?Contact technical support Give feedback
Takara Bio USA, Inc.
United States/Canada: +1.800.662.2566 • Asia Pacific: +1.650.919.7300 • Europe: +33.(0)1.3904.6880 • Japan: +81.(0)77.565.6999
FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES. © 2019 Takara Bio Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of Takara Bio Inc. or its affiliate(s) in the U.S. and/or other countries or their respective owners. Certain trademarks may not be registered in all jurisdictions. Additional product, intellectual property, and restricted use information is available at takarabio.com.