SMART technology overview
What is SMART technology?
SMART (Switching Mechanism at the 5′ end of RNA Template) technology leverages the template-switching capability of certain reverse transcriptases (RTs) to capture full-length sequence information from RNA or DNA templates and incorporate adapter sequences during first-strand cDNA synthesis. The adapter sequences serve as primer-binding sites during subsequent rounds of PCR amplification, allowing for seamless, ligation-free NGS library construction. SMART technology has become an industry-leading solution for diverse NGS applications by virtue of its versatility and best-in-class performance. See below for more detailed information about how SMART technology works.
Why adopt SMART technology?
- Exquisite sensitivity and reproducibility
- Full-length template coverage
- Ligation-free adapter incorporation
- Strand-of-origin information
- High-quality sequencing libraries
- Simplified workflows, single-tube protocols
Select a topic to learn more:
SMART technology workflow
SMART technology workflow for single-cell/ultra-low-input RNA-seq. The above diagram depicts the workflow for the SMART-Seq v4 Ultra Low Input RNA Kit for Sequencing, which uses SMART technology and oligo(dT) priming to generate cDNA from single cells or ultra-low inputs of total RNA. During first-strand cDNA synthesis, the MMLV-derived reverse transcriptase (RT) adds non-templated nucleotides (depicted by Xs) upon reaching the 5' end of the RNA template. A carefully designed template-switching oligonucleotide—in this case, the SMART-Seq v4 Oligonucleotide—then pairs with these additional nucleotides, providing a new template for the RT to add an adapter sequence to the 3' end of the first-strand cDNA (this is the template-switching step). Adapter sequences derived from the template-switching oligonucleotide and oligo(dT) primer then serve as primer-binding sites during subsequent PCR amplification. Other applications of SMART technology involve similar workflows, but use a random-primed mechanism and incorporate Illumina adapter and index sequences during library amplification.
SMART technology can be used for a wide array of NGS applications:
- Single-cell mRNA-seq: solutions for generating sequencing libraries from single cells, small groups of cells, or ultra-low RNA inputs. Integration of oligo(dT) priming and SMART technology ensures full-length, unbiased mRNA coverage, regardless of the presence of rRNA or genomic DNA.
- Total RNA-seq: kits for library prep from total RNA using random priming (with random hexamer oligos) acquire strand-of-origin information through the attachment of SMART adapters during reverse transcription. Illumina-specific sequencing indexes are incorporated during PCR amplification in a ligation-independent manner. This method allows for the identification of both non-coding and coding RNAs.
- Small RNA-seq: SMART technology provides a powerful alternative to adapter-ligation-based methods that are susceptible to sample representation bias. This approach is suitable for analysis of diverse small RNA species, including miRNAs, siRNAs, piRNAs, and snoRNAs.
- Immune profiling: kits feature a 5' RACE-based approach that captures full-length sequence information for entire variable regions of TCR-α and TCR-β subunits. SMART technology provides the sensitivity necessary for detection of low-abundance TCR clonotypes.
- ChIP-seq: kits for generating double-stranded, ready-to-use sequencing libraries from double- or single-stranded chromatin-immunoprecipitated (ChIP) DNA. Illumina-specific sequencing indexes are incorporated during PCR amplification in a ligation-independent manner.
Collaborations & partnerships
Are you interested in custom solutions involving SMART technology?
Whether you seek OEM partnership, custom formulation, or bulk purchasing, our entire OEM team stands behind one promise: we will help you achieve your goals. Our dedicated manufacturing, packaging, QA, and business development professionals stand ready to help. Find out how our technologies and logistics can ensure your success: email us at email@example.com or call us at 650.919.7320.
Partner with Takara Bio
We are always seeking partnerships and collaborations that will yield high-quality, innovative tools and services for our customers and accelerate scientific progress. If you have a technology, product idea, or project that you would like to discuss, please contact us by calling 650.919.7320 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our business development professionals will follow up with you shortly. Kindly provide non-confidential information only in your initial inquiry.
Takara Bio USA, Inc.
United States/Canada: +1.800.662.2566 • Asia Pacific: +1.650.919.7300 • Europe: +33.(0)1.3904.6880 • Japan: +81.(0)77.565.6999
FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY. NOT FOR USE IN DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES. © 2018 Takara Bio Inc. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of Takara Bio Inc. or its affiliate(s) in the U.S. and/or other countries or their respective owners. Certain trademarks may not be registered in all jurisdictions. Additional product, intellectual property, and restricted use information is available at takarabio.com.